Coming home with a newborn is exciting, scary and exhausting all at once. Here are 10 things I learned the first time around:
1. Remember that this time is sacred. When I needed a reminder, my mantra was “This, too, shall pass.” The bad parts but also the good parts. So it helped me to focus on the good and let the bad go.
2. Rest. Dishes and laundry will always be there. Your privates or stomach won’t always be torn up. Your priority is keeping a tiny human alive and healing.
3. Sleep when you can. Not “sleep when the baby sleeps” because let’s be real. I could never turn my brain off that easily. But a nap here and there or going to bed early does wonders.
4. Get help when you need it. Whether it is walking the dog or bringing over a meal don’t be afraid to ask for help.
5. Drink a TON of water. Especially if you’re nursing.
6. Sit on a sitz bath. For those who had vaginal births…it’s a piece of heaven on a toilet.
7. Nurse as often as needed. It will build your milk supply and help with engorgement in the beginning. Babies like to cluster feed. Let them.
8. Gentle breathing and pelvic floor exercises are helpful but the focus is to let your body heal.
9. See a lactation consultant if you are struggling with breastfeeding. They’ve seen a lot of boobies and can tell what is causing the pain and how to fix it.
10. And if you are like I was and have an EXCRUCIATING headache after an epidural, go to the ER and get another epidural needle for a blood patch (that experience was worse than labor and birth itself). The headache stops immediately.
It is a whirlwind of feedings, diapers and attempting to get a good nights sleep but, as they all say, it goes by so quickly.
Baby boy Thomasson is due at the end of October! I will be sharing pregnancy exercises, favorite products, and tips online throughout my pregnancy. I am so excited to share this journey with you all!
P.S. Isn’t that rattle and teether adorable?? We love Bannor Toys!
First Trimester Summary
I have been more tired (exhausted is a better word) this time around and though I didn’t have “morning sickness,” my stomach has been upset most of the time. Despite how I feel, I make sure to never miss a workout. Shorten it or lessen the intensity if my body isn’t up for it, absolutely, but I make it a priority to move every single day. Thankfully, at 13 weeks my energy is back to normal. I was feeling like a pretty rotten mother to Justin when all I wanted to do was sit on the couch to rest.
I’ve been craving baked goods and cereal.
God has bigger and better plans for us as a family. I absolutely love being a mom so doing it over and over again is truly a blessing. It will be also nice for Justin to have a buddy close in age and I am glad we can reuse his clothes!
I enjoy reading, but not fiction. There is always “work” that can be done on myself as a person and I love the insight I get from self help books, business books and books on faith. My latest reads have been from Rachel Hollis and BOY, did they hit me right in the gut!
Her follow up book to Girl, Wash Your Face. This book felt like it was written for ME. I am a people pleaser and a perfectionist and something clicked this year where I was simply tired of being a chameleon, trying to please and satisfy every person’s opinion around me. I read this book and it solidified that the only person’s opinion that matters is MINE. I decide who I am going to be. Who cares if it’s been done before? Who cares if I’m not the most educated? For the first time in my life, I feel like I know who I am, what I enjoy, and what I value. And I am owning it. That is a wonderful feeling.
Glowing Oasis Pilates, LLC celebrates 3 years in business
Leesburg, VA – April 1, 2014 – Glowing Oasis Pilates, LLC is fairly new to Loudoun County but is excited to be celebrating its third year in business in Virginia.
The business began in 2011 inside the Shenandoah University dorm room of student Alicia Keen, who was a college sophomore at the time. Since then, Alicia has graduated and the business has grown and relocated to Loudoun County. Now a proud member of the Loudoun County Chamber of Commerce, Glowing Oasis continues to grow while being heavily involved in the community and making Loudoun County a healthy place to live.
“It is YOU, my dear clients and fellow business owners, that I have to thank for these 3 wonderful years. Because of your support and encouragement, Glowing Oasis is still going strong and continuing to grow. It is because of you that I get up every day with an unrelenting drive to do what I do. I wouldn’t have it any other way. THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. Here’s to many years to come!” – Alicia Keen
Glowing Oasis Pilates, LLC offers In-Home and On-Site Private, Duet, Trio and Group Classes throughout the majority of Loudoun County. In addition, Group Pilates Mat Classes are held at Restore Physical Therapy & Wellness in Ashburn. The business is excited to now offer Private Reformer Sessions at LaRue Wellness in Downtown Leesburg and in-home to those with equipment. Glowing Oasis Pilates, LLC is known for its personalization and convenience of classes, along with tailoring sessions to a client’s individual needs and goals. Appropriate for all fitness levels, Pilates provides a full mind-body workout resulting in long, lean muscles; injury prevention, improved posture, and an evenly conditioned body. For more information, please visit www.glowingoasispilates.com.